Walkabout

Student Life Ministry in Brisbane, Australia with Amanda DeCesaro

This week (well I started every other blog entry with "this week," why stop now, haha) was our semesterly (I know that's not a word) prayer week. I love knowing that hundreds of people are praying for us here at Griffith Uni and Australia. There is an overwhelming peace that comes with this knowledge as I step on campus each day. The Spirit was greatly at work, even in the smallest of ways. For example, on Tuesday we went to English help as usual and as has been the trend lately not many people came, but then we went on a Pepsi run (a new tradition for Mary and me) and ran into Sean, who we met in the beginning of the semester. We invited him along and then later Dean and Yuan came, Yuan even brought a friend (get this, her friend is Aussie!) It was a very fun time with them and I am praying that we will continue to see them and share the gospel with them. Another example was on Thursday I was meant to lead the evangelism time, but no one came, so I sat on a bench praying. Grace, my Kenyan friend came up and we started chatting. She opened up to me about the struggle her sister is going through: not wanting much to do with the Christian faith because she see's it as her mom's faith and is angry with her mom. I told Grace to pray for her sister and try to explain the gospel to her, because no matter how many times you hear the gospel its always good news. Please also pray for her (her name is Martha). After talking for awhile she asked how long evangelism lasted, and then I was prompted to ask her if she was free. She was for the first hour, so I jumped up and we joyfully walked toward people. This was the first time Grace had ever experienced initiative evangelism, so as we walked up to a young blonde girl I prayed that it would be a good experience for her. This girl surprised me when she spoke to us with a German accent (haha, you can never pick the Aussies at Griffith). Her name is Nadine and she gladly answered our questions and we had a great conversation. At one point I had the opportunity to share the entire gospel with her and ask her if she would like to start a relationship with God. She was unsure but I hope to talk to her in the future. The conversation was so great and Nadine was so sweet, Grace really enjoyed it. Thank you, God!

Nate and Sean at English help


Lunar Eclipse Wednesday night, was also Korean Thanksgiving and Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival

On Wednesday night we had a prayer vigil where we met with several of our students and prayed for different campuses, our friends and families, for each other, and praises to God. In the middle of our time I went outside and called everyone out of the house, because their was an eclipse (none of knew it was happening that night, haha). It was awesome to see and praise God for. To think of how He has created all things even a system in time when the moon, earth, and sun line up, its just amazing.

Its always fun hanging out with people and making new friends. I am especially glad to have met many of Dani's students. Roland (Yarn's best friend) is such a character, he reminds me of a friend I had in college. I met up with him, Dani, Budd, and MinJun at City Beach (a clothing store) to hear a band perform. Then I went to MinJun's house to do something crazy: dye my hair red! haha. That night we went to Leti's (our French student) and met many of her friends. Saturday night Dani and I made Italian food for three of her students: Sam, Bomi, and Dia. Then on Sunday we brought Raejene (one of our student leaders) and Jonathan (a Chinese friend going through a Christianity Explained Course) to our church. Please pray for Raejene who has an aversion to church lately and for Jonathan who is so close to joining the body of Christ. That night we had Yarn and Roland over for Italian food (yes, more Italian). It was fun to spend time with them and even talk a bit about why we are Christians and why we share our faith with others. Overall, this week was a fun and people filled time and I loved every minute of it.



Roland at City Beach


First haircut, now hair red, what's next? haha

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Me

amanda.decesaro@gmail.com

About Me

Followers

Subscribe to Feed