Walkabout

Student Life Ministry in Brisbane, Australia with Amanda DeCesaro

This week started out like most weeks, Monday was my admin day when I worked on preparing English help, Christianity Explained (CE) lessons, and discipleship. Tuesday Mary and I talked through some of her barriers to believing the Bible as factual and did the fifth of the six CE lesson. That night was Fusion and Emily showed a short film about undoing things in life with relevant questions that we discussed with each other. My group had a great conversation and later in the night I had a spiritual conversation with a new friend named Freda (China). Wednesday, Mt. Gravatt campus held an outreach: two A-frame signs that invited students to write an answer to the two questions of "what is the meaning of life?" and "what happens after death?" There were not many people on campus that day but many of us had very lengthy conversations. Emily talked to a girl from Canada who has lately been asking the very same question about life. She decided to start a CE with Emily next week! I had the opportunity to talk to a British man named Adam. He had some interesting views concerning religion and serving God and mankind. I tried to challenge his beliefs, however, I don't really know what kind of impact I had on his thinking. Please pray for him as well as everyone who saw these questions and began to think of the answers.


Griffith- Nathan Campus

Vincy working on an essay in the Goanna Lounge

Many of our students are quite busy with assignments and studying for exams. There are only two weeks of classes left so stress is in the air on campus. Please pray that Christian students can influence their peers with the way they handle stress in a Godly way. We are praying that even among this time people will be thinking of deep and meaningful things.


Me, Kaji, Darren, Yun, Kazune, Sunni, and Peter

Friday, I was excited to first attend our Brisbane area ISM (international student ministry) meeting followed by a day with Jesus. I met University of Queensland's (UQ) new Japanese STINTers: Kaji and Kazu. I am so excited to see how God will use them to reach students at UQ. They just arrived on Thursday and it was refreshing to see their wide-eyed zeal for their calling to Brisbane. After the meeting I went to Border's bookstore and picked up a book called Prayer by Philip Yancey (I recommend it!). After a day reading 50 pages in that book and the Bible, journaling, and praying I was so refreshed. The next morning I was a bundle of energy at our first annual World View Training Day.

All year we have been hearing much about different world views from Ben and Kris on my STINT team. Because Ben's dad, Dr. Rick Cornish was in the country to talk at a local church, he also had the opportunity to share at this mini conference. About 60 students from many Queensland unis came along with a few community members. It was geared toward Christians and helping them understand other world views. It was insightful, educational, and motivating, and my team was happy with the outcome.

Emily and I did check in

Dr. Rick Cornish gave the opening talk about World Views

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Me

amanda.decesaro@gmail.com

About Me

Followers

Subscribe to Feed