Walkabout

Student Life Ministry in Brisbane, Australia with Amanda DeCesaro

Among the tasks of the end of the year is to end the different activities we have including our English help and CE (Christianity Explained courses) Tuesdays. I was so happily surprised that 3 newbies came. One girl I've never met named Jessica came along and was excited to learn about Jesus and get a New Testament. My new friends Phoebe and Jeanie also came and were very appreciative about learning English idioms. Because they are both Christians and will be my teammate, Emily's roommates next year, I challenged them to learn the CE so that they can teach it next year. They are really looking forward to helping out the ministry next year.

Jessica at her first English help/CE - last one of the semester

Tuesday was amazing for another reason: Fusion. It was not our last Fusion because next week we will have our first annual Fusion Talent show, but it was the last one of any content and it was the most awesome Fusion this year. One of our graduating students, Sammie and one of our first years, Beth talked about love and if it is a choice. They told the story of the prodigal son, good Samaritan, and played the song called "I Choose You" by Australian Idol winner, Stan Walker, who is a Christian. Afterward, I was in a group with Jean, Mary and Dani where we talked a lot about love. I can't quite remember now but I started sharing with Jean about the gospel and how people are like the prodigal son and God is like the Father and that God's love is unconditional. After about 30 minutes of explaining I asked her if she could place her faith in Christ. She understood the gospel and that it is by grace through faith that we are saved. It was definitely God working in her heart and mind as it seemed so effortless to explain things and for her to commit her life to Christ. After praying to thank Jesus for her salvation I explained to her about the promises she now has from God and about the Holy Spirit. She started calling everyone her brother and sister. We shared with a few people around us that she was now a Christian and then she turned to me and said, "you are a successful missionary." Emily laughed so hard and I was overwhelmed with thankfulness that God saved my good friend Jean that night. It is a good feeling to be used by God and it is an overbearing joy that comes with seeing someone's eternity changed forever.

Jean after we carved pumpkins last week, now the pumpkins are rotting on my balcony
and Jean has found eternal life in Jesus!!!




On Thursday, I went sharing with Kelly, one of my disciples. We were rejected a couple times but then met Megan, an Aussie studying environmental studies. She was really open and we had a great discussion about her atheism (which would be better defined as agnosticism). She said her roommates are Christian and I hope they continue to have spiritual discussions. It was a great experience for Kelly, who was too timid to say much but thought of a few wonderful things to ask in future conversations like that.

One of the girls I disciple, Megan brought a friend from her Japanese class, named Kate. I was so proud of Megan, because this is our goal within Focus Areas, for our students to invest in their classmates by building an intentional and deeper relationship so that everyone knows someone who truly follows Jesus.

Megan during our Thursday lunch

The weekend was very busy. On Saturday, Kara came two hours from Toowoomba. I discipled her on summer project last year. It was great to see her and catch up over coffee, later we met up with Min Jun and Dani and explored the city a bit.


Sunday after a great sermon at Church on homosexuality Emily and I went to a bridal shower. Our teammate Kris proposed to his Aussie girlfriend and University of Queensland missionary, Vanessa. Ness had a tea party theme, which was fun to pretend to be "all lady like" haha. I even met another set of twins, which is always exciting.


Em and I in our "Mad Hatter" Tea party hats

Ness in her newspaper wedding gown

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Me

amanda.decesaro@gmail.com

About Me

Followers

Subscribe to Feed